Library Day in the Life #6 - Thursday

We've made it past hump-day and have moved on into Thursday. I'm working the late shift again, so I've just settled into my day...

12:00pm - 1:30pm
Arrive at work and find that a friend/coworker/colleague librarian of mine at a different campus is having a frustrating morning. I provide some info that doesn't really help much...but I can certainly sympathize! I feel your pain Erin!

Just as I come in at noon, my Assistant is ready for her lunch. We discuss a few projects before she heads out. We've been working on adding QR codes to our library shelves that link to the subject guides. This has been fun! We've also made a screen saver and a flyer that says: "Wanna know what this is?" and gives a brief introduction to the beauty of QR codes. I wrote a post way back when on QR Codes, and when I first hired on, I had many ideas like this, but I didn't really think our students would "get it." But... I'm going to try it and see how it goes. I'll also be mentioning the QR codes in class on Friday.

I've checked in with my online class and have answered e-mails. I've also sent an e-mail to one of our online Librarians to see how to add an online student to the Polaris database.

A student also needed some copying and pasting help. Printing from a website was clipping some of the words, so she wanted to copy the article into Word. Easy enough... but I'm still baffled by how many students still don't have this skill!

In keeping with that theme, an e-mail came through asking for faculty to ask students if there are any interested in doing basic computer tutoring. I got to thinking... I've done computer classes in the past for previous jobs, and I could put together a workshop for basic computer skills. We'll see what the demand is and run with it for next month if need be.

Finally, several students of mine have expressed issues with the Credo Reference Concept Map not populating. Time to investigate this!
.... Looks like it just needs a little bit of a java update. I'll use http://join.me again to walk the student through the update process. Hopefully that will solve the problems!

1:30pm - 3:00pm
Time to start work on classroom presentations. I'm diving into the Criminal Justice statistics sites again to see what can be shown for their class project.

3:00pm - 5:00pm
After posing my question about the computer skills workshop idea, a faculty member came down to see me and we discussed some times that may work. I will keep my calendar open for Mondays from 11:30-12:30 and go from there. I've got the textbook, so I can brush up on some things and be ready to help if needed.

I continue to work on valid statistical websites to send the Criminal Justice students to... not the most fun thing to research, but still valid and quite helpful!

5:00pm - 6:00pm
Dinner! But I have to go in the snow... boo

6:00pm - 7:00pm
Finish work on the Criminal Justice Applied Statistics class presentation. I've got some substantial material here to show the students, so it should cover an entire hour!

I also had a student come by that has an assignment regarding wrongful termination laws in Indiana. I found a few things (Indiana Codes and Civil Laws) from a string of e-mails the Librarians sent around, but nothing real substantial. This isn't the first time this assignment has come up...and we're all at a loss as to how to fully help students with this project. We have one Librarian that has a law background, but that stuff is clear as mud to me! Fun times.

7:00pm - 8:00pm
I need to brush up on my classes for tomorrow. I'm going to make sure that I have all of my documents ready for them, and will also refresh my brain of the powerpoint presentation.

Ended up spending until 7:40 working with a student who had a chat reference question. They were asking about a homework assignment...I interpreted it as best I could.

8:00pm - 9:30pm
Now I can work on my class material!

Ended up showing a student how the QR codes work... he sadly didn't get it, but I still think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread!

9:15pm
I'm heading out a tad early... with the snow, there are no more students left on campus tonight, so I'm packing up and heading out.

I'll be teaching all day tomorrow, so it will be a special Friday #libday6 edition!

0 comments: