Library Day in the Life #6 - Tuesday

Welcome to Day 2 of the Library Day in the Life #6 project. I'm working the late shift today, so I have eased into my morning by scheduling a doc appointment, and procrastinated folding a huge basket of clothes. Said clothes remain unfolded...

11:00am - 12:00pm
I start getting ready and decide that I want something from Dunkin' Donuts... partly because there's NOTHING in my house to eat... and partly because I saw a commercial for it and it looked oh so yummy. *note to self - salad for dinner*

12:00pm - 1:00pm
Arrive at work and ease into the work day by answering e-mail and speaking with co-workers. My Assistant is currently taking her lunch break, and we'll discuss some projects when she returns.

During this time, I also place an ILL for a staff member. We have new procedures since joining the OCLC bandwagon, so it took me a while to make sure I had dotted all of my "I's" and crossed all of my "T's." I think everything is good to go!

1:00pm - 1:30pm
Worked with the same faculty member from yesterday to properly format the Running Head of an APA paper. Fun times! I love love love when I can really help someone and they go away with more knowledge than when they first came in!

1:30pm - 2:00pm
Worked with a student that is currently in an Excel Spreadsheets class. The homework was very vague (and I am NOT a numbers person)... and she needed some help figuring out how to calculate depreciation. The book never indicated what "kind" of depreciation...and everything I tried for straight-line depreciation did not give the same answers the book gave. Until I'm able to get clarification on what exactly the homework is asking for... I'm at a loss!

Also checked-in a new serial (The Chronicle of Higher Education) and perused it for a minute.

Answered a student e-mail question about one of my class assignments.

Got a prospective student going on the Accuplacer test. I am choosing not to discuss this too much because I might get on my soap box. The rest of this post could very well turn into why the Library/Librarian should NOT be administering Accuplacer tests... so I will refrain.

2:00pm - 3:30pm
I worked out another ILL request (long process since I'm still learning the new procedures).

I also worked on an e-book printing issue with a student. This took several phone calls to the student, as well as back and forth conversing with our Online Librarian. Turns out the student purchased the book through our campus bookstore... so it wasn't an e-book in our library collection. I ended up having to use join.me to see the student's screen. This enabled me to figure out that it was different than our library books...(it didn't open in Adobe Digital Editions, and it was VERY difficult to navigate). So, I figured out that the downloaded version was way too cumbersome to work with, so I suggested the student work directly with the online version of the e-book, and she was happy. She'll be able to print what she needs for the assignments, and can search the page numbers of the book from her online class. *Whew!

After I finished up with the student, I put in a phone call to the person that handles the online bookstore here at my campus, and have asked for more details on this e-book pilot. If we're going to be getting student questions, we need to be aware of what's going on!

3:30pm - 4:30pm
Formulate a to-do list for the evening and start thinking about dinner. I'm needing to get all of our in-class visits/presentation dates together so I know what to research.

4:30pm - 5:00pm
Discuss project plans with my Assistant Librarian. We just put together program specific resources for our students that were e-mailed to them. The response has already been GREAT, so we're putting our heads together for more projects. Our next step will be bookmarks that highlight our library services and a QR code that sends them to the library website.

5:00pm - 6:00pm
Dinner!

6:00pm - 7:00pm
Online Faculty Division Quarterly Conference Call
We discussed the curriculum and basic how-to's of adding/changing grades. It was informative...but a tad overwhelming! I'm glad the online division is very thorough in sending out e-mail messages when things need to be posted!

7:00pm - 8:00pm
-Worked with a student who was having issues with her student gradebook account.
-Worked with a student on the phone who was having an issue pulling up the keyboarding class website... poor thing was typing the url in the search bar instead of the address bar. Join.me to the rescue again!!
-Worked with a student to find a business dictionary. We have an e-book that's pretty cool... so I show her how to access it!

8:00pm - 9:30pm
I was going to catalog 2 books that were donated, but I'm thinking I need to get a move on the class visit presentations that are coming up. So... off I go to research Criminal Justice statistic options!

Answered a chat question from a student asking about a chat realm of some sort that will work for a class project. I introduced the student to meebo.com and the "room" option. The student was floored at how easy and perfect it would be for his class group project! Yay!

Calling it a day! Back to work at 8am tomorrow morning...so time to start winding down for the night. (Always very hard to do when your mind is running so much at 9:30pm)

0 comments: