Synching Diigo & Blogger & Saving From iPhone to Diigo

From Evernote:

Synching Diigo & Blogger & Saving From iPhone to Diigo

Recently I've been cleaning up a Diigo setting that allows me to post Diigo links automatically to my blog. You can see an example posting of the most recent posting here: Daily Library Technology and Education Links As I was cleaning up the auto post, I got to thinking that there may be someone out there that doesn't know about this feature (or Diigo for that matter); so I wanted to share!

First of all, Diigo is a social bookmarking site that allows you to save and annotate bookmarks. Annotation options include sticky notes, bookmarking, and highlighting features. I switched to Diigo when delicious was up in the air as to whether their service would remain in tact. I've even gone so far as to have my students submit their annotated bibliography assignments in Diigo as well (which worked EXTREMELY well!). All this to say, I have been an avid user of this tool for quite some time...and I wanted a way to automatically post specified links to my blog. 

When logged into http://www.diigo.com, you will see a Tools section at the top right of your window. There are a whole slew of features available, and for our purposes of posting links to a blog, you're looking for the Web Services section in order to choose Auto blog post

It's a fairly simple process. Once you've added your blog URL, it should validate without problems (you will have to enter your blogger username and password in order to complete this process).
Once you're validated, to the right you will need to click the option to Add a new job.Give it a name (this will be what the title of your blog post will be each time you auto post), include Diigo tags that you want posted to your blog (for instance, my tag of choice is library. Any link that has library as a tag will be auto posted), and I would suggest leaving the drop-down defaults as is. From here, decide your frequency of posting. Do you want a daily post? Or once a week? You decide - and then give it the time that you would like it to be posted (mine is set for 8am). Submit the job and you're done!

Now, the last thing I mentioned in the title of this post is saving to Diigo from your iPhone. I do a lot of reading on my phone; whether that's reading Twitter posts, or Google Reader feeds, I'm constantly finding links that I want to save, or articles that I want to read later. For those articles that I want to read later, I'm using Pocket (formerly ReadItLater) http://getpocket.com/ (now I just have to remember to go back and read them!). For saving to Diigo, it's a little more intense to get it set up.

I went through this method:
1) Follow this link to open Diigo for iPhone instructions: http://blog.diigo.com/2009/01/09/how-to-post-bookmarks-to-diigo-on-iphone/
2) Scroll to the comments section and click the long Javascript link (it will fail to load...that's ok).
3) Click the Share button in your browser to save this link as a bookmark.
4) In the bookmark area, change the title to reflect something like: Post to Diigo
5) You can't edit the link yet, so click Save
6) Open your bookmarks section of your browser and click Edit
7) Click your Post to Diigo link (don't click the red delete option)
8) Place your cursor on the link right after the question mark and delete everything preceeding (including the question mark).
9) Click Done

From here, you must be logged into your Diigo account, but any link you wish to save will take you to the Diigo bookmarking area where you can add a description and any tags that you wish to include.

Hopefully you've found something useful here - I personally like the easy work flow it has allowed me to have!

0 comments: