QR Codes - The Possibilities Are Endless

I've been doing a bit of research recently in regards to QR codes and their uses in libraries. I first heard about QR codes while listening to a new-to-me podcast this past week. You can find the podcast HERE ... and I do hope you'll take the time to listen. So what is a QR code? Here are a few brief points:
  • QR stands for Quick Response
  • QR codes are linked to information online
  • That information is transmitted through a phone's camera, sending you to the linked website that can be saved to your mobile bookmarks
  • The QR code phone application that I'm using with my blackberry is from beetagg. You can find a list of supported phones HERE. You will need this in order to scan the image below.
What might be some uses for QR codes?
If you were to grab the QR code to the right, you would be taken to my linkedin online resume. This is just one example of how people are using these codes. Businesses are also linking them to their Facebook pages, and I can see where libraries could do the same. Libraries are also placing these codes in their online catalogs. This is especially beneficial for University libraries that are multi-level. Students can search for a particular item, see the QR code on the holdings page, snap a picture of the code which sends them to the mobile version of the holdings page, and they are able to take their phone with them to find the book/material. No more writing down long call numbers or trying to find pen and paper in the first place. The possibilities are ENDLESS and I'm already formulating ideas for utilizing this new media format in my library. For further reading about QR codes, follow the links below for better explanations:
What are your thoughts on QR code usage?

2 comments:

viola said...

I am also very interested in qr codes and thinking about how to use them in our library.
perhaps I will start a "qr code project" in the beginning of 2011.

Wikkit said...

Loved you post on qr codes Becca!

Just sent you an email about Wikkit (qr codes, rebranded). Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Adam Hunt
http://www.wikkit.com
@WikkitWikkit