New Library Website & Something To Ponder

Here she is folks. A full year and half worth of work has finally come to fruition. I should also mention that I by no means call myself a web-designer, or even a webmaster. While that is part of my job title, I don't think I'm very good at it, and I'm sure if you looked at my coding, you would find ways to do what I've done differently/better/*insert your own words. However, I did learn a TON during this process...and I feel like I've accomplished something worthwhile that will be beneficial to my library. That makes me giddy!

If you're interested in seeing more, especially my Kids and Teens pages (digital scrapbooking came in handy for those), then head on down to:
http://www.elwood.lib.in.us

Comments and critiques are always welcome...although I'll warn you - if you make a suggestion, I may not know enough to even understand what you're telling me. I'm strictly book and self taught here! I'm still learning as I go :-)

And now for something to ponder:
A new book came in today and one of our catalogers brought it back to my office thinking I would get a kick out of the concept. The title is 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think by Laura Vanderkam. The idea that we all have the same hours in every day/week/month/year is mind boggling to me, simply because I can never seem to find time for what I want to do! For years I have sacrificed my time/career/life/EVERYTHING to finishing school. Both my husband and I were committed to that challenge of being 100% fully and completely done before starting a family. Just last month, I graduated with my MLS, and this summer, my husband will be finishing up his Doctorate (so our plan has worked!). I give you all of this background to say that I had it in my mind that I would always have more time to really do what I wanted once I finished school. Unfortunately, it seems that my life is even more busy! So this intriguing book crossed my desk and it got me thinking. Where am I putting all of my hours? If you want to do the same, it's pretty interesting to see how much time is being wasted! Here's the breakdown:

168 Hours in a Week
  • 40 hrs Work
  • 7.5 hrs Commuting back and forth to work
  • 56 hrs Sleep (8 hrs each night - wishful thinking right?)
  • 10.25 hrs Eating (I only take a 15 min. break at work for lunch)
  • 4 hrs House Cleaning/Folding Clothes/Dishes/etc...
  • 2 hrs Errands (not very accurate, but it will have to do since each week is different)
  • 7 hrs Hot Bath every night (SO very relaxing! and too much info I'm sure)
  • 3 hrs Church Services
Total: 38.25 hrs left over
Where does this time go? What the heck am I doing to where I feel like I have no time for anything? I will ponder this further...

If you're interested in reading more about the book, the author has a blog located HERE, and there's a challenge beginning Monday, June 14th which can be found on Facebook.

The whole point of this for me is to find out where I am putting my time (and being honest about it) in order to make the necessary changes. I'm willing! Who else wants to join the challenge??

4 comments:

Jessi said...

Becca,
The website looks amazing, and I love what you did with the Teen page using the cork board. Quick question, what do you use to create your website, and then what do you use to publish it? We are looking at redoing our website at my library *we use frontpage (gag)*... It really looks good, great job :)
~jessi~

Becca said...

Jessi,

Thanks for the kind words. As for what was used...I started by handcoding it for the Info. Architecture class, but moved it into Dreamweaver for maintaining. In dreamweaver, you can publish directly to your domain...I just had to contact our internet provider and have them switch some things in the firewall. Since then, we've experienced some issues with our PAC and our wireless (not sure why)...that's something for next week to fix!

Frontpage works...but I like Dreamweaver better. :-)

Colleen said...

The site looks great - well done. And now I am shuddering to think of all the time I waste even with all the stuff I get done. I think I may have to start logging my time just to see. Also, couldn't find the RSS feed link on your blog to add you to my Google reader - you should slap it somewhere we can find it to keep up with you :)

Becca said...

Colleen,

Thanks for the comments. The Subscribe information has now been added per your request! I'm not a "regular" blogger by any means...and honestly, when I started this blog, I never intended to keep it up (which if you look at the post frequency, you'll see that). I may not ever be a frequent blogger, but if I find things that are worth sharing...I will.

All that to say, thanks for stopping by!