A New Beginning

I have recently been thinking more and more about blogging again. While I always seem to have good intentions, for one reason or another I end up letting the writing fall to the back burner. Life and my work takes precedence (as it should) and I just can't seem to find a good balance for the "extra" things I would like to accomplish. Personally and professionally, I have gained so much from reading other library blogs...particularly those by Bobbi Newman, David Lee King, and even The.Effing.Librarian (just to name a slim few). My GoogleReader account is overflowing with blogs from people that I have come to call my colleagues, and I continue to glean information and inspiration from each of them. I don't expect to have any real cutting edge ideas here, but it will at least come to be a chronology of my work, projects, and the like.

So how have I ended up at this point?
When I began this particular blog, I had just moved into a new library system and was working as a clerk/head of youth services for a small branch in central Indiana. While in this position, I had the opportunity to fully plan and implement an entire Summer Reading program for this very small branch. I remained in the position for one year until I had the opportunity to move into management at the main library branch. I became the Adult Services Manager, overseeing a handful of adult services staff, managing the interlibrary loan department, maintaining the fiction/nonfiction collection, as well as non-print materials, implementing adult programming, coordinating staff scheduling ... all while finishing my MLS degree! It was overwhelming, yet exhilarating because I was finally able to put my schooling to practice. The fun doesn't stop there though. Not six months into this position, a fellow coworker had the opportunity to move on to a new work environment, leaving our library system with an empty Information Technology Manager position. In my head, I thought this was right up my alley. Since taking this position, however, I realize I have SO much to learn! Every work-day feels like I'm back in school...but that's party why I love librarianship. The environment breeds continual learning. To just name a few things that I am now doing:
  • Computer hardware selection, installation, and troubleshooting (this includes getting knee deep inside computer cases which was brand new to me...and I have become a reformatting hard drive whiz!)
  • Software selection, installation, and support
  • Network administration and security responsibilities (In 2 months time, I have already assisted in the installation of a new server)
  • Security and stability of public computing environment (For future reference...don't use Centurion Guard security software. This is a headache and a half when trying to push things from the server to the workstations. Instead, work with group policies)
  • Web page design and maintenance (We go LIVE with my redesign on Tuesday!!)
  • General help desk functions
  • Computer Class Instructor
  • Grant writer
  • Intranet support and design
  • Staff and patron technology training
  • Integrated Library System (ILS) maintenance, upgrades, and training
  • Project management
  • Creating technical documentation (Document Document Document...everything!)
  • Overseer of E-Rate Funding
Ok...so that totally turned out to be a laundry list of responsibilities (and I'm sure I'm missing something). If you have made it to the end and are still reading, I welcome you to this new beginning. I have no idea what angles I will take with this blog, but I will make it fun and hopefully informative to anyone who ventures my way.

Happy Reading!

1 comments:

the.effing.librarian said...

wow, your new duties sound impressive, but what do you mean by "and *even* the effing librarian"?
why not, "and especially"? nobody ever says especially about my blog... {sad}