Endnote = Headache For Mac Users

One of my online buddies recently wrote an entry on her BLOG about the software Endnote. Her frustrations are from a research teacher perspective and stem from a lack of Endnote updates. My frustration with the software is from a Mac standpoint. My argument is as follows:

Endnote is primarily a PC software product. Even though there is a Mac version available, there is a steep learning curve.
I recently had an assignment that required me to work with Endnote. I was excited because of the bibliography convenience Endnote offered. It was handy-dandy in theory, but the work-arounds that I had to do with the Mac version was a bigger headache than it should have been. The same online buddy that wrote the blog entry, spent time with me online trying to figureout why I wasn't able to import a list from an online journal site intoEndnote. In the end, together we spent about 2 hours working andreworking the software, and tweaking it with her Endnote knowledge inorder to get the results I needed. Headache city!

After this assignment, I was in search of a better way for Mac users to get the same bibliography convenience. I found it in a Firefox extension called Zotero. Taken from their website;

Zotero
[zoh-TAIR-oh] is a free, easy-to-use Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources. It lives right where you do your work — in the web browser itself.

I'm all about free and easy! It may not have the bells and whistles that Endnote has, but I am thoroughly impressed with its ease of use. For now, I am sold on Zotero and will be keeping all my pdf files right at my fingertips.

1 comments:

Iris said...

Yeah, that shouldn't have taken 2 hours. It should have taken 5 minutes. How frustrating!! But I'm glad we figured it out.