This past week I started my new job with Manchester University as the Instruction & Emerging Technologies Librarian. So far I'm loving it! The people I am working with in the library are amazingly nice and helpful and have welcome me and my pregnancy with genuine happiness (if you're coming to this news late - yep...the hubs and I are expecting in March!). I couldn't be more thrilled! The job itself is starting to pick up, and from the looks of it, I'm going to have a very full fall semester. So far, here's what I've been up to:
- I am the subject liaison to the schools of Business and Accounting, Education, and Exercise & Sports Science. I've been learning the pertinent databases that fit each of those areas, and soon I will be updating the online research guides with new content.
- I am also in charge of coordinating, scheduling, and instructing the majority of the first year seminar sessions (and eventually I will be teaching this as a full course). The instruction sessions are basic first-year research sessions, so it shouldn't require too much work since I did a lot of that with Harrison.
- I am in charge of implementing a chat reference service and a text reference service. Texting will be rolled out immediately and chat will follow for the spring semester. I've started getting coding together for the website and preparing for the launch.
- I am also responsible for setting up a campus-wide distribution of the Firefox browser in order to install zotero (a citation generator and management tool)
- Finally, I've been working to update our library Facebook page. It needs quite a bit of work!
In terms of instruction, after sending out the first email batch to faculty, I already have scheduled on my calendar more instruction sessions than I ever had with Harrison - all within a 2 hour time frame! This was just for the first year students and doesn't even count the subject liaison areas ... So needless to say, I will be a busy busy woman! But I'm loving it! I really feel like this will be a good fit for me and I am excited to see what new projects I'm able to get my hands on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
Hello Rebecca, I found your blog through freetech4teachers.com and am very impressed. You have a great organizational style and you have inspired me with some of your many great ideas. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the comment, and I'm glad you have found some posts to be useful to you! I've been neglecting the blog with so much going on, but I'm hoping to have some new posts up soon! Stop by anytime.
Post a Comment