Library Day in the Life #7 - Monday

It's time yet again for the Library Day in the Life project.  This happens to be round 7, and I'm excited to share with my readers what I've been up to.

Today was heavily a course prep and grading day for the information literacy course I'm teaching (both online and ground).

8:00 - 8:30    I arrived right at 8am and spent time making sure my lesson notes were ready and all copies were made for class.

8:30 - 10:30  Taught my information literacy course. This week we discussed website searching, making sure students know how to find credible information when searching popular search engines. You can see the lesson for today below (there was a lot of show-and-tell with Google and Wolfram|Alpha, so there aren't many slides):
10:30 - 1:45  Checked in with my online course (I'm also teaching an online section), answered gobs of e-mail, and then spoke with a faculty member on campus to discuss class instruction session options for a presentation skills course. I have started designing a "Free and Fabulous" presentation that incorporates free online technology tools for students to use - she was impressed and thinks this presentation will work wonderfully (yay!).

1:45 - 2:45    It's lunch time, and I rush home to eat and let the dog out.


2:45 - 3:45    I spend a bit more time grading for my online class and adding 0's into the gradebook for students not turning in work.

3:45 - 4:00    IM'd with a librarian colleague.  He asked if I had a PowerPoint presentation made for the information literacy database week lesson. I was happy to share and sent it his way with a bit of commentary.

4:00 - 4:15    Tracked down a student with an overdue book and called several others that have overdue items. Wouldn't it be easier on all of us if they would just turn in their items on time?!

4:15 - 4:45    Sent e-mails to students that missed class today and sent e-mails to online students not turning in work. I'm finding that there is much less work involved when students are doing what they should be doing. When I have to hunt them down, it becomes very time consuming.

5:00 - 5:30    Read and answered more e-mail. A few strings of e-mail came through regarding the APA citation (known as APA Yay!) committee I am co-leading. We are adding an abstract area to our guide and discussed ideas for this area. And since I'm so excited and proud of this guide, I'll share it here for you!

5:30 - 6:00    Graded ground assignments that were turned in today.

6:00 - 7:00    More e-mail and making a to-do list for the rest of the week. I only have a 4 day work week due to a meeting I must travel for on Friday. Plans for the rest of the week include subject specialty libguides work and prepping for our 23Things Learning 2.0 program set to launch in the Fall. I also have several class presentations this week, so I'll stay pretty busy!

Once I made it home, I ate dinner with the hubs, and then worked in the yard a bit. It's been a long day, and with the added exercise this evening, I'm a bit spent. Stay tuned for tomorrow!

0 comments: