In the information literacy classes that I teach, there is a full week of nothing but Google searching. Students learn how to:
- Narrow to a specific site domain using the advanced search feature
- Use the news, timeline, and realtime tools
- Formulate searches that get away from long sentence searching by utilizing keywords with " ", +, and -
This is all well and good, but a recent class left me baffled. I was demonstrating several sample searches on the overhead projector. Many students were walking through the steps with me. Right in the middle of explaining the search results, I hear: "But wait... I don't have the same link you have."
I make it a point to stop and go back just a few steps to see if maybe the student missed a step. In doing so, she assured me that the same clicks were made. I then chose to walk over to her computer and see for myself... and low and behold, she was right! She didn't have the same results. "Huh..." I said. "This could just be a fluke. Let's try another search and see what results we get."
So, as a class, we formulate another search. Same thing. By now, I'm getting a bit annoyed. Everyone should be able to have the same search results displayed if the search is done the exact-same-way-every-time. But that just wasn't happening.
We continued to move on during class, but I was still quite bothered by the situation. So, by the time I returned to my desk, I was on a massive information hunt for anything that would explain to me what was happening. Ironically enough, (I really couldn't have planned it any better) I had a link that I saw in a stream of twitter feeds from a friend and colleague of mine titled: "If you haven't seen this Ted talk on internet filtering and personalization, you HAVE to!" I'm not sure how it caught my eye...but it was so timely that I was a bit freaked.
Take a look:
I'm still miffed, and not sure really what to do about it.... but then there are the times that I really really love Google.
An Angel
Google to the Rescue!
Using a few of the tricks that I teach my students, I have been able to locate the local news from the Atchafalaya Basin area. These articles have been much more beneficial than the mainstream news stations like Fox and CNN. I was able to find the most recent news articles like this one, this one, and even realtime twitter updates. Thanks to Google, it has truly allowed me to feel as if I am right there watching the impending doom happen. I still have family and friends in the area...so it's been very important for me to be able to keep up with what's happening.
Additionally, Facebook has been a fantastic use of primary source information. Friends that still live in the area have taken pictures, and Morgan City even has a Facebook page. So yet again, I have felt as if I'm right at home.
So with all of this being said, Google can definitely be a great source for information, but I don't like the fact that they are personalizing the information that is being found. Any thoughts?






2 comments:
That is a crazy story!
I knew that the personalization was happening to come extent, but was blown away by the video.
I don't really think it's the devil, as there is definitely a silver lining to it -- namely, i LOVE when the search i do comes up with results that are indiana based!
But I had never considered the consequences that the video addressed... Anyway, super interesting stuff :)
You know I don't really think it's the devil either. I am still a Google advocate and I use its tools everyday. I just think they shouldn't get ahead of the game. They should be thinking of the pro's and con's of this personalization idea, and at least give us a heads up and a way to opt out if we don't want it.
Post a Comment